April 27, 2011

Some training -- About time!

After almost a week of not being able to train due to a combination of my knees and bad weather, I finally had a chance to train today. At my school is an open courtyard with a wall about eight feet high, and I spent nearly all of lunch today doing wallups. My footwork on the approach is getting really fluid, and I don't really stutter with my feet at all anymore. When I first land into the wall, due to its height, I usually don't kick the opposite leg up to gain more height since I have plenty of momentum going upwards already, and when I do it doesn't quite make it all the way up the wall. My toes will be about an inch below the top of it at the peak of my jump, which is pretty awkward once I'm up there. Instead, I usually let the opposite leg hang and then swing it up once I'm in a position to get on top of the wall. As I develop more strength and flexibility I'm going to try and see if I can swing up with my leg on this wall as I would with a higher wall up and see if I can land my foot on top of it without needing to do a kip to get up. Hopefully with practice it will get quicker and more fluid.

The weather is still pretty miserable, but Friday is supposed to be sunny so I'll probably do some more lunch time training then, too.

In addition, I did a lot of rolls on concrete today and I'm feeling very comfortable with them now. It's almost the same as rolling on grass; I don't feel any pain whatsoever and it just seems as if I glide across the ground. Rolling on concrete was something I wouldn't be able to do until later this summer, but I got it down pretty quickly. It's all in the technique!

What I ate Today
- Banana
- Pear
- Egg
- Bacon
- Coffee (Black)
- Italian sub on wheat bread, no cheese. (This is lunch so I'm not cheating ;) )
- Apple
- Milk
- Protein Shake
- Ground Beef (lean)
- Green Tea

In Other News!

I tried out the workout I mentioned yesterday:

10 situps
10 pushups
15 squats

As many as possible in 20 minutes

I started this but after the first two sets I decided to amp it up a little bit, so I ended up with

15-20 situps
15 pushups
 25 squats

I did this for 20 minutes straight and it was definitely a workout, but I still think I need some more routines so I can vary the muscles that get used day to day. Any suggestions?

More to come!

3 comments:

  1. I have a pretty good ab workout. It's short but it really really tires you out... or at least me. It is:
    25 Crunches
    20 Second Plank
    25 Leg-Lifts
    40 Second Plank
    50 Rotate Touches (25 each side)
    1 Minute Plank
    1 Minute V-Sit

    Lubb Marissa ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. wall-ups? is that like... where you run up the wall? cas i would be very interested in you showing me that sometime =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not so much running up the wall as kicking into the wall and having your momentum propel you upwards. It's not possible to "run" up a wall, as gravity unfortunately exists.

    If you'd like to see I'll be in the courtyard outside the C wing during lunch tomorrow. You're welcome to come! :)

    ReplyDelete