April 22, 2011

First Diet Post

My current plan is to follow the paleolithic diet as closely as possible. I'm going to start by doing it with breakfast, then moving onto lunch (which may be difficult to do) and then finally dinner. This will help me ease into the change in diet gradually rather than jumping in headfirst and feeling awful and potentially giving up.




To summarize the paleolithic diet (herein abbreviated to PTD):



Eat none of the following:
· Grains- including bread, pasta, noodles (I may continue to eat unflavored oatmeal as it's very nutritious, a great way to get carbs, and it gives you a lot of energy.)
· Beans- including string beans, kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, snow-peas and peas
· Potatoes
· Dairy products (I think I may make an exception here for milk as it's very nutritious and I would have a hard time dealing without it.) 
· Sugar (No more sweets D:)
· Salt

Eat the following:
· Meat, chicken and fish
· Eggs (yay!)
· Fruit
· Vegetables (especially root vegetables, but definitely not including potatoes or sweet potatoes)
· Nuts, eg. walnuts, brazil nuts, macadamia, almond. Do not eat peanuts (a bean) or cashews (a family of their own)
· Berries- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries etc.
 Try to increase your intake of:
· Root vegetables- carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, Swedes
· Organ meats- liver and kidneys (I accept that many people find these unpalatable and won’t eat them)

Expect some minor tuning problems- don’t worry, you can deal with them:
· It will take some time for your body to adjust to the changes after all these years. There is a huge surge in your vitamin intake. There is a huge decrease in your toxin intake.

I'm hoping that with a lot of discipline I'll be able to transition from a moderately healthy diet to a very healthy one. I've already cut out sweets entirely -- something that was very difficult for me.

What I ate today
- Yogurt
- Coffee (w/ half and half)
- Two Eggs
- Oatmeal
- Chicken
- Peanuts
- Green Tea

Strictly according to PTD, today would be a 42%, or an F. As I'm making an exception for oatmeal though, it's a 57%, which is a D.

As I'm easing into this though, I don't expect to get a 100% for several weeks.

Maybe tomorrow will be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment